Riverhead, NY- Police are investigating a fatal fire that happened Tuesday night on the East End. Officials say five members of one family, who lived on the third story of an old Victorian apartment share house on East 2nd Street in Riverhead, were unable to make it out in time. Authorities say fire crews responded to the blaze in one minute but even still, the fire had already torn through the wood frame home, making it impossible for those on the highest floor- to escape. Five other residents in house were able to escape. According to Newsday, the house did not have any smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors at the time of the fire.
Photo: Suffolk County Police Patch