NEW YORK (AP) — Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer appeared at a Manhattan seafood eatery to urge restauraters to apply for a $28.6 billion federal restaurant relief program. The restaurant grant program is part of the federal COVID-19 package signed into law last month. It will let restaurant owners apply for funds to cover coronavirus-related losses. The maximum grant for an individual restaurant is $5 million. Schumer said Sunday that the website for applying will be up within a few weeks. Schumer spoke at Crave Fishbar in Manhattan. Crave owner Brian Owens said the money will help restaurant owners get through not only this year but next year.
Photo: Billy Romm, left, owner of Billy’s Beach Cafe, surveys the scene at his restaurant which served customers, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, in Long Beach, New York as Long Island progressed to phase two of the state’s reopening plan during the current coronavirus outbreak. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)