Yahoo.com compiled a list of six foods that are bad news for your dog and cat:
1. Onions, Garlic and Chives. Very small amounts won't hurt too much, but long-term ingestion can cause red blood cell damage that leads to anemia in dogs and cats.
2. Grapes, Raisins and Currants. These are big red-flag foods that can cause kidney failure in canines and felines and are more dangerous for animals with pre-existing health issues.
3. Chocolate. Dogs and cats metabolize chemicals like theobromine and caffeine much slower than we do, so poisoning can cause tremors, seizures or death. The darker the chocolate and smaller the pet, the more dangerous is can be.
4. Milk. Yes, they look adorable licking up a bowl of cream, but this treat can cause vomiting and diarrhea because it's tough for animals to break down lactose.
5. Turkey Bones and Fatty Scraps. A taste of meat is fine, but leave out the bones and fat. Obviously, bones can cause choking, internal lacerations or even blocked intestines while too much fat can lead to pancreatitis.
6. Alcohol. Animals will drink almost anything, but too much fire water can cause big problems --even turn them comatose! Also watch out for unbaked yeast bread dough --the raw dough can ferment in their tummies and produce alcohol or cause fatal bloating.
Animal owners should keep the 24-hour Pet Poison Helpline handy: 800.213.6680
Hi! So after being sick for almost a month, I'm baaaaaaaaack! A word of advice: if your doctor tells you to stay home from work, LISTEN!!! I would have been back much sooner had *I* listened!!
Looking forward to seeing everybody tomorrow at the King Kullen in Commack at our Thanks 4 Giving Food Drive! :D